This week’s Welcome to the Insta-hood is on @jr.nes77 !
- Tell me a little about yourself:
“I was born and raised in the great city of Chicago and I’m also first generation Mexican. Since I can remember, I’ve always loved watching movies and listening to music. Growing up on the north side of Chicago, I can remember the days of hanging out on my block while talking with friends about the latest Nightmare on Elm Street movie and with a couple boomboxes playing in the background. One specific genre that would consistently be played on those boomboxes was Chicago House music. On any Friday night, you’d hear mixes from Ron Hardy, Farley “Jackmaster” Funk and the legendary Godfather of House Music, Frankie Knuckles (who I luckily met and became friends with while working at Virgin Megastore).
I was also lucky enough to have parents who loved going to the movies, but also loved having a movie night at home. I can safely say that my taste in movies is a fusion of my parent’s tastes. On one hand, you had my father watching “Deer Hunter” and on the other you’d see my mother watching “Fire in the Sky.”
Being fortunate enough to grow up in Chicago, I was treated at a young age to the legendary show, Svengoolie. This show would play classic camp, sci-fi and horror films like “Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man,” “The Bride of Dracula,” “The Incredible Shrinking Man” just to name a few. The Svengoolie show has aired locally since 1970 and now broadcasts outside of the Chicago area.
My love for films and music grew even more when I worked at Virgin Megastore for nearly 8 years. Not only did I have immediate access to all types of films and music, but access to a group of individuals who had the same love that I do. Having this accessibility just made my love for the strange and unusual even stronger…since I too am…strange and unusual. Sorry, I felt I had an opportunity to quote “Beetlejuice” and I had to take it.
In 2019, I took the first step in creating my small business and that was forming my LLC, UNDERCOVER. That same year, I partnered with [synthetic] Chicago (Alberto) to create Front Left Speaker (FLS). Forming UNDERCOVER is an extension of my vision on creating product and events that highlight my love for music, movies, art and Chicago.”
2. Can you talk a little bit about Front Left Speaker?
“Front Left Speaker (FLS):
When working at Virgin Megastore, I met so many fans of Chicago House Music and aspiring DJs. During and after work, so many great discussions of Chicago House music and parties would be had. As time progressed, I found myself creating amazing bonds with a handful of people and one in particular was Alberto ([synthetic] Chicago).
As we discussed our love for Chicago House Music, we found ourselves having some similar concerns. One of our observations was seeing our female friends struggle to break into the scene. Regardless of how amazingly talented they were, they faced so many obstacles in a heavily male dominated field. We also saw many who didn’t fit the “industry norm,” be denied great opportunities.
As all this occurred, House music was gaining popularity across the world and it seemed that people were forgetting that House music originated in Chicago. At this point, we thought to ourselves, one day we should collaborate and throw parties together to address these issues. We discussed how we would feature women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ community and remind everyone that House music originated in Chicago.
As life happens, we separated from Virgin Megastore and began our separate journeys. We kept in touch throughout the years, but it would be some time that we would be in the right stage in our lives to start what we’ve always talked about.
Around 2017 we found each other again after not seeing each other for a few years. We reconnected and caught up, turned out we were both starting new chapters in our lives and ready to make some moves. Alberto reached out one day and said, let’s hangout and talk. We met up and as usual, we would catch up. Alberto would then say, I think the time is now for us to work together. Alberto would then explain he’s had an idea of an event series that would address several social issues that we previously discussed. Thus, Front Left Speaker was born.”
3. If you have to make a Cult movie spring list: What movies would you have on there and why?
Top 5 Spring Cult Films:
- Polyester – When the Spring season arrives, it brings the beautiful aromas of fresh rain and blooming flowers. With that said, why not celebrate your sense of smell with John Waters’ “Polyester” that features “ODORAMA.” Plus, everyone loves a serial foot stomper.
2. Spring Breakers – When Spring season hits, it’s a little hard not think about students on Spring Break and their shenanigans. So why not join in on the fun with a couple former Disney stars, booze, drugs, scooters and James Franco (AKA Alien) in Spring Breakers.
3. Pumpkin – Love is in the air during this season and nothing says love like two polar opposites falling for one another.
4. Demons – As we get ready to hit the movie theaters again, there’s nothing better to celebrate with the idea of getting trapped in the theater with some demons.
5. Showgirls – Need some spring in your step? Showgirls can help you get sprung into action with some killer dance moves and jazz hands.
4. Can you talk about the music video you created?
“Music Video – Version 2.0: The Reboot:
After completing a successful 2019, we were ready to take 2020 by storm. As soon as our “Mary XXXmas” event ended in December 2019, we were working hard for our 1-year anniversary of FLS in March 2020. As we got closer to the date, the news of a new virus that could possibly become a pandemic was becoming a reality. In early March of 2020, Chicago announced the closures of bars, venues, restaurants and restrictions on gatherings. As heartbroken as we were, there was nothing more important than the safety of all. As time progressed and closures remained, event organizations were streaming live events to promote their artists and brand. Streaming became very popular and majority were using that platform. As Alberto and I discussed our options during these unusual times, we decided to go in a different route. Instead of streaming, we decided to create a music video that would loop with an original Chicago House mix. As we discussed the pandemic and social issues that were occurring in 2020, we felt the world needed a “reboot.” As we were developing the concept of our music video, we decided to also pay homage to our love of cult films.
Premise: The world is under attack by ignorance and hatred…let alone that dirty nasty bitch COVID-19. Sound the alarm!!! The world is in dire need of a reboot. Queue our lead mother android as she steadily works away creating her fem bot. Watch as they work towards creating change for not one, but for all. Their mission, to eliminate ignorance and hatred through the power of music and artistry.”
5. Do you have any exciting events or news that you would like to share?
“UNDERCOVER product line currently in production and will launch in the summer. All original creations and manufactured in my studio/office in downtown Chicago. IG will have updates and more information in the upcoming weeks.
- New Front Left Speaker music video, “Version 2.0: Integration,” is currently in development. Could a trilogy be in the works??? We all know what happens in a trilogy, all bets are off in the last chapter.
- Front Left Speaker product line in final stages of production and will be launching in the summer. IG will have updates and more information in the upcoming weeks.”
If you would like more information. The following information is below:
FLS ASSOCIATES IG INFO:
@tmixwell – Tmixwell
@jaysquaed – Jay Jay