This week I had the pleasure of interviewing @thejimharold !
- Tell me a little about yourself:
” I am a full-time pro podcaster. I’ve been podcasting on the supernatural since 2005 and took it full-time in 2012. I love my job and am so thankful. I love talking to authors and experts about their theories on the paranormal on my longest running show, The Paranormal Podcast.
Even better is the opportunity to talk with listeners about their own experiences with the strange on my most popular show, Jim Harold’s Campfire.“
2. How did you come up with the concept of creating so many great paranormal podcasts?
” I was a broadcasting student in college and everyone (including myself) thought I’d end up working in news or something of the like. Life happened and I ended up working in radio but on the advertising side of the business. In 2005, I heard about podcasting and thought I’d produce one to scratch my broadcasting itch. I never thought it would become a career! I chose the paranormal topic since I was interested in the subject since
I was a little kid watching In Search Of with Leonard Nimoy. I started with The Paranormal Podcast since interviewing authors and experts in the paranormal sounded neat. One week in 2009, I did not have a guest so I thought I’d do listener stories and that was the genesis of Jim Harold’s Campfire. That has grown over the years with me trying a number of shows and creating my Paranormal Plus Club which features exclusive shows in addition to all the free shows I do. This year, Jim Harold Media launched Unpleasant Dreams which is a narrative style podcast with sound design, etc. It’s a new type of show for us but it’s doing great so far.”
3. Do you have a memorable experience or two that a listener shared with you and left a lasting impression?
” The Roadhouse Saloon is my favorite all-time Campfire story. It details the experience of a woman who, with her friend, found themselves at a very strange bar that was like something out of the Twilight Zone. It seems that she and her friend nearly found themselves actually absorbed into this otherworldly place. It seemed like it was some sort of dimensional portal. I loved the story so much that I actually traveled to her home in another state with a videographer and interviewed her. You can find an expanded video version of the story (see video below). It is QUITE the story and I believe her 100%.”
4. If you had to create a movie list of 3 movies to watch for the fall. What movies would you suggest and why?
” The Shining – Because it’s The Shining!
Rosemary’s Baby – This movie creeps me the eff out! Haha! It has such a sinister undertone throughout you just feel like taking a shower after you watch it. Everything is lurking just under the surface. I find it more terrifying than The Exorcist. It is CREEEEEEEPY and I love it!
A Christmas Story – I love the nostalgia of this Christmas classic even though it is set even before my time! Plus, much of it was shot in my hometown of Cleveland, Ohio. I grew up in an old house not unlike the one in the movie. MUST WATCH every holiday season.
5. Do you have any exciting news or events that you would like to share?
” 2021 has been crazy and I was looking back and thought that I’d not accomplished much because we moved from our longtime home this year to a great area BUT upon reflection I am amazed by what we were able to accomplish:
1. Hit 60 million combined downloads of all of our shows. We’ve released about 2,700 episodes combined over the last 16 years.
2. Redesigned website at JimHarold.com which I LOVE! I hated our old design. It was so cluttered but this is super classy and it’s easy to find the content.
3. Launched Unpleasant Dreams which is the narrative podcast I mentioned earlier. It is hosted by my daughter Cassandra Harold who is doing a bang up job on it…yes, I’m biased but she has a drama background and she does a way better job with it than I ever could. We have a tremendous writer and researcher on the project, EM Hilker
.4. Relaunched our email newsletter
5. A lot of other stuff I am forgetting but I’ll remember after I close this document.
In 2022, we are going to redouble our video efforts on my YouTube channel and plan to release the sixth book in our Campfire series.
It is busy here but I love what I do. That’s why I think we can get so much done with a very small but mighty part time team. I’m the only full time person here. I am so thankful to my listeners for making this great job possible for me. And, I’m grateful to you to be able to share my story with your audience. Thank you!”
If you like to learn more about Jim and his amazing podcasts. The following contact information is below:
Facebook: TheJimHarold & Virtual Campsite FB Group
Youtube: Jim Harold
Thank you so much for the interview Jim!
Until Next time!!!