Welcome to this week’s round of Welcome to the Insta-hood. This week I interviewed IG account @pulpster
- Tell me a little about yourself. “Latino Australian born in the 60s who got his love of pulp art from crime novels my mother used to read.”
- What made you want to create your Pulpster feed? “Back in 2012 there was little to no pulp art on IG and I wanted to introduce people to its great artists.”
- Who are your top five pulp artists and why? “Top five in order:
Frazetta- Quite simply a genius and visualised Conan perfectly.
Steranko- A brilliant innovator whose love for pulps and comic art is infectious:
Bruce Pennington- the greatest scifi artist of all:
Mort Kunstler- his art is pure pulp eye candy:
James Bama- his hyper realist Doc Savage covers singlehandedly brought pulps back to the mainstream.”
- What are three movies that would best describe your personality and why? “Cool Hand Luke not because I’m cool (or look like Newman) but because that whole vibe about an antihero who wins people’s hearts by sheer persistence sits right with me.
Desperate Measures because it has my favourite movie line: “Do you want to find out where you end and I begin?”from Michael Keaton which reflects my own personal depth of character
Jaws because it features three Alpha males- all different in their own way- who are on an impossible mission but come out victorious. I’m an old school male and i’m glad I am.”
- How long does it take you to come up with your creative puns for your posts? Can you share a couple of your favorite ones you came up with? “The puns depend. Sometimes it takes an eternity to think of something mildly amusing. Other times I’m on a roll and I make myself laugh with what I come up with. My fave pun is on a crime pulp cover painted by Rafael De Soto. It depicts a hand sticking out of a painting on a wall and pointed at an unsuspecting protagonist. I titled it ” Framed For Murder”. It’s actually not a pun come to think of it, just a play on words which still makes me chuckle.”
If you have any questions for Pulpster his IG is: @pulpster
Thank you so much for the interview!!
Until next time!